Tenerife is a popular holiday destination for millions of people. If you haven’t visited it yet, here are 10 unbelievable things you should know about this island before heading there for your next sunkissed holiday.
1. Tenerife is the largest of all the Canary Islands in the archipelago. This means you’re going to find a wealth of luxury resorts, hotels, vacation houses and beaches to suit all budgets and preferences.
2. The flag on Tenerife is identical to the one of Scotland. Nonetheless, you can rest assured that its climate isn’t the same. In Tenerife, you can enjoy almost 365 sunny days per year.
3. Mount Teide, the highest point of Teide National Park is the third biggest volcano on earth.
4. William Shakespeare loved Tenerife’s home grown wine so much, that he mentioned it in two of this plays. He was happy to receive a barrel of Malmsey wine every year, as part of his salary.
5. Clash of Titans, the 2010 movie, used Tenerife’s Teide National Park as its backdrop.
6. The giant Mount Teide casts the largest sea shadow in the world – are you impressed yet?
7. El Medano, with its two kilometre stretch of sand is the longest natural beach on the island.
8. Tenerife hosts the biggest waterpark in Europe, Siam Park, famous for its seven world records. Among them, there is the largest man-made wave in the world and the globe’s largest Thai building outside Asia. Siam Park won the 2015 Traveller’s Choice TripAdvisor award.
9. Tenerife has an incredible marine life just waiting to be experienced and one of most popular ways of seeing it is by boat excursions. One such excursion is offered by Freebird Catamaran for an exciting day of whale and dolphin watching.
10. Last but not least, you should know that Tenerife’s black sand beaches aren’t dirty. This is only a myth, as that’s simply the colour of fine volcanic sand. You won’t get your feet dirty, should you decide to walk barefoot on this beach, I can promise you that.
Do you know any other interesting facts about Tenerife?
Leave it in the comments below.